Planning a trip to the Pueblo Mágico of Tapalpa, Jalisco? Here are some of our favorite family-friendly activities and restaurants. There are plenty of house rental options on Airbnb and local hotels to choose from. Read about our family’s adventures in Tapalpa in this article on Mexico News Daily.
- Ekopark Tapalpa: outdoor adventure park featuring ziplines, suspension bridges, rappelling, paintball, and more.
- Los Frailes: natural park of rock monoliths that can be toured via quad bike. Zip line, rappelling, kids play park and camping are also available.
- Las Piedrotas: formation of large boulders — great for hiking, rock scrambling, zip lining, rappelling and horseback riding. Killer snack bars and brincolin (trampoline) for the littles.
- Piedra Bola hike: a 6.4-mile round-trip hike to a rock lookout with amazing views of Colima volcano
- Salto de Nogal hike: a 2-mile round-trip hike that takes you to the base of the beautiful Salto de Nogal waterfall. Worth every step down (and up again!)
- Cheese-making workshop: Hosted by the wonderful Elena Preciado, who also offers lavender and ocoxal (pine tree) handcraft workshops and more. English spoken.
- Taste tour of local treats: wander the food stands and stores in the central plaza and downtown to find tamales de acelga (made with chard), nieve de garrafa (sorbet), chongos (a sweet curdled-milk dessert), fruit preserves, La Merced chocolate (only open on weekends), pan dulce from panadería Dona Tere, and for parents (and grandparents) – rompope (boozy egg nog).
- La Sanduga Sabe: casual, authentic Oaxacan cuisine
- Monterra Tapalpa: modern dining room set upon a hillside with sweeping views of town. Only open for breakfast. Reservations required.
- Tapalpa Country Club Cocina de la Abuela: fine dining and incredible views of Tapalpa countryside and the Colima volcano.
- Cafe Madre Tierra: modern casual, good burgers, salads, and gelato
- El Árbol de la Culebra: traditional ranchero-style restaurant serving borrego (lamb) and pollo asado (chicken).
- Los Girasoles: lovely garden setting, modern Mexican cuisine
- La Cava: fine-cuts steakhouse a few miles outside Tapalpa in the town of Fronterra
- Pizzeria el Jardín de Filipo: fantastic Naples-style Italian pizzeria